Botox Vs Facelift – Pros and Cons
Posted on October 11, 2011 by Ella Fedonenko
When it comes to looking your best, a wealth of options are available. If your primary concern is lines on your face, you may have narrowed down your options to either Botox injections or a facelift. Each option has its pros and cons and depending on your specific situation, one is probably going to be a better fit for you than the other, but its important to know the details before making your decision.
Botox has a number of benefits:
– Compared to a facelift, Botox is inexpensive.
– It is minimally invasive.
– It can prevent wrinkles from forming or treat mild to moderate facial lines.
– Recovery is simple and short.
Like any medical treatment, Botox also has its drawbacks:
– Botox is not permanent. Multiple treatments and maintenance will be required.
– While Botox can erase finer lines, it can only soften deep creases and wrinkles.
– Some side effects are possible, including pain at the injection site.
– While less expensive than a facelift, multiple treatments can add up.
Facelifts have benefits in some situations:
– A facelift can remove deeper wrinkles that cannot be removed with Botox.
– Although some upkeep may be required, a facelift is more permanent than Botox.
– A facelift can remove sagging skin that can’t be helped by Botox.
However, facelifts also have several negatives:
– A facelift is a surgical procedure. Like all surgical procedures, serious risks are involved. Some of the risks connected to facelifts include scarring, bleeding, clotting, infection and poor healing.
– Because a facelift is surgery, it requires anesthesia, which also carries with it a number of risks.
– Facelifts can be quite expensive and are not covered by insurance.
– Facelifts have a significant recovery period, which could be weeks. While you could go back to work after having a Botox procedure, recovering from a facelift will require time off, painkillers and antibiotics. It will also take weeks before the full benefit is seen.